I’ve been on my own for a while now, even if I only just moved out this week, but now seems like as good a time as any to set some rules for myself. I want to be realistic, but I also want structure, particularly because I don’t want to become a 900-lbs spinster recluse, which feels very possible as I sit on my bed watching Netflix with a very full stomach (which is probably due in no small part to the fact that I’ve had like four glasses of milk today, but fullness is fullness, and I shouldn’t do that- I’m as bad as a panda, eating things that will make me uncomfortable). So I need rules.
1. Never leave dirty dishes overnight (this is the most important rule- it’s actually the rule that inspired me to make official rules. I don’t want pests, and it’s much nicer waking up to a clean kitchen than a messy one).
2. Always have fruit in the house (dried, fresh, or frozen, there needs to be some kind of fruit).
3. Make my bed every morning (it dominates my main room- leaving it unmade will make the whole place look like hell).
4. Clean the bathroom and kitchen every week.
5. Eat at least one veggie snack every day (in place of something less healthy- I don’t have to have any snacks if I’m not hungry, but I’ve had so many goldfish crackers today I’d have been better off with a straight salt lick).
6. Clean Flora’s cage every week (an absolute must).
7. Go to the gym every week (I don’t have to go every day, but I paid for it, and I’ll be happier and healthier if I make it a regular thing. Besides, I get out of class at noon on Wednesdays, so there’s no good excuse not to go).
8. Study for at least an hour every day (including 12-hour clinical days- I’m tired when I get home, but I can do an hour).
9. Spend time with people outside of school and clinical at least once a week (studying during free time counts, but ideally also fun things, like contra dancing, or games, or working out with a friend. Carpooling to clinical does not count. Birth companions kind of counts, but only in a pinch).
10. Drink more water (and tea), and limit other beverages (I actually bought orange juice, and it’s so darn delicious I could drink it all in an afternoon. I’m not going to though! I’m going to make it last. I can buy one non-water beverage every two weeks, and that’s it- if I run out early then I’m out of luck, and that doesn’t mean I can buy a mini carton of milk at school for my cereal, it means I eat something else for breakfast (you can’t eat High Fiber cereal dry, you just can’t)).
11. Pack lunches, and eat breakfast at home! (I can get a little lazy sometimes and not bring anything, and I always wind up eating something decadent like a pizza bagel or a reuben, and then suddenly it’s the end of the day and I haven’t had any veggies. Not good.)
12. Dance around at least once a week. I live by myself- I should live it up.
Do you have any house rules? Can you think of any good ones that I’ve missed?