Remember on Wednesday when I said I was burned out? HA! That was nothing! The week had so much more in store for me!

Wednesday night I went to the gym with Jen and did weights, and burpees, and other sore-making things. We didn’t actually do that much, but I hurt like we did, and we made big plans for next time (rock climbing! They have belay classes every Tuesday and Wednesday, so we’re going after Thanksgiving). When I got home I did a little homework, and then sort of planked around regretting my decision to nap after class because it meant I was too awake to go to bed early for clinical. I eventually went to bed at 11:00, but I was still awake when my co-doula called at 1:30 to let me know our mom was heading to the hospital. I immediately sprang into action and threw everything I thought I might need in my backpack, figuring I would be there all night and then have to take a cab into clinical in the morning. My partner picked me up, and we headed over to the hospital. Akite (the other doula) had to park the car, so she dropped me off out front, and I went in by myself. I was pretty nervous- my last birth companions experience wasn’t very confidence-building (I stood around awkwardly until the mom asked me to leave (she had two support people in the room already so everything was already under control- I’m not just a terrible doula)), but I really liked this mom and hoped for the best. This is where things get tricky with confidentiality, so I’ll just say that what happened next- all of it- was incredible and beautiful, and joyous. Things progressed quickly, and then suddenly, just like that, there was a new person in the world, and it was amazing. Truly.

Akite and I hung around a little afterwards, but it was late, so we said goodbye and left to give the family some privacy. It was the middle of the night, but we were both energized and hungry, so we went back to her place and had turkey burgers and hung out a bit. I didn’t get home until 3:30, just around the time when I was starting to get sleepy. My alarm goes off at 5:00 on clinical days, but in my dazed state I thought I would be able to wake myself up if I just closed my eyes for a second after turning off my alarm, especially since I was still so pumped from the birth that I couldn’t even fall asleep until after 4:00. When I woke up again at 5:35 I leaped out of bed, startled out of sleep by the knowledge that I had 100% missed my bus. I waited at the bus stop anyway, just in case, but after half an hour I was cold and starting to worry about being late, so I caught a cab. Somewhere along the line I internalized the idea that cabs are Fancy, but this one was Sketchy. My past two cab rides in Baltimore have been super awkward because 1. the drivers don’t know how to get where I want to go and ask me for directions (always a bad idea), and 2. they don’t run the meter. Instead they just ask how much I usually pay. I don’t take that many cabs, so I never know what to say, and then I worry they’re ripping me off. This time I told him $10 (the cost of a cab ride from Hopkins Hospital to my apartment), figuring Sinai is probably equidistant, but he said $15, so $15 it was. I was worried he was going to murder me anyway, so since he didn’t $15 felt pretty reasonable. I somehow survived my eight-hour clinical day on less than two hours of sleep, but my day was far from over at 3:30 when we were let out…

To be continued.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s