I was a bit of a brat today, and now I feel guilty. I’ve only been in Nursing School for a few days, but I can already tell that patients can be a bit obnoxious, and I had resolved to be nicer to the medical professionals in my life from now on, only to fail at my first chance.

Part of starting at a new school is sending all of your medical records so they know you won’t contaminate their students, and so I faxed the forms to my doctor’s office back in March or April along with a release saying they could share my records. I asked them to contact me when they sent them, and they never did. I called them, and they said they had my forms, and they would send them. Here’s my side of the story: They told me they would send them, but they didn’t, and they didn’t contact me to let me know that there was an issue. Here’s what they say: They sent me repeated notices that I might need an immunization booster and they couldn’t send my records until I came in. Whether they sent them or not, I never saw any letters. I remember getting one letter shortly before I moved down to Baltimore, following up on a trip to an urgent care clinic I went to when I took out my eyebrow ring and was worried about infection, but it didn’t say anything about my medical records, and I didn’t follow-up because I didn’t think it was necessary to go and pay a copay just to have them tell me my eyebrow was healed. Whatever happened though, things became very stressful very quickly last Friday when I received an email from the Admissions Office telling me that they didn’t have my medical records, and unless they got them soon I wouldn’t be allowed to attend my clinicals.

I called the doctor’s office today during my lunch break, but they were on lunch too, and so I had a very very small window of time to get things straightened out. When I did finally get through I got as far as telling someone from records my name before she hung up on me. I called back, and this time I was able to give her my name, and birthday before getting disconnected again. The third time I got angry, and I rushed through my story and told her exactly what I needed and that it was urgent that it happen today, while I was still on the phone so I would know that it had actually happened, and she told me that they don’t fax medical records. Up until that point, I think I had been doing an ok job of being patient, but I’ll admit that I probably sounded pretty pissed as I tried to explain that I had signed a waiver months ago, and that I needed my records sent weeks ago, and mailing them to my parents’ address would be completely useless. I didn’t think I was being overly aggressive, but she told me that she couldn’t help me if I yelled at her, and transferred me to someone else. At the time I was just proud of myself for not reaching through the phone and strangling this woman, but now, looking back, I was probably behaving badly. It wasn’t this particular woman’s fault that I was in that situation, and I wasn’t inspiring her to be helpful by raising my voice (even though I really didn’t mean to, I was just in a hurry and getting so frustrated that I was close to tears). Soon I’ll have patients, and I hope that they’ll be patient with me while I help them deal with upsetting situations, and I need to remember that it’s a two-way street. So today I wasn’t my best self. I was grumpy, and snotty, and sullen, and unfair, and I need to be better tomorrow.

After school I hopped onto the shuttle and came home.  Not being my best stinks, but I did cheer up a little while I cooked dinner. Garlic is good for cheering-up, and I used a lot of it, making roasted zucchini, and sautéed kale. I bought a half pound of kale at the farmer’s market on Saturday, and it’s almost all gone already. I didn’t even make kale chips, I’ve just been nomming it like crazy. A cold, sliced chicken breast leftover from last night rounded out the meal, and pushed it over the edge of nice into great. Bluegrass and garlic soothed my frayed nerves, and I had a peaceful dinner without any textbooks or browsing the internet on my phone while I ate.

And now for homework.


About turntowardsthesun

I'm a 23 year old Smith College grad, living in Buffalo, NY, and trying to figure out my life. I love to cook, and craft, and work out, and this blog follows my adventures while I do all of those things and more. Enjoy!

3 responses »

  1. Just thinking of something simple and good for dinner and stepped by your post. It is great. Despite I don’t have any leftover will just take a walk and get some chicken, it looks quite yammy in your dish. 😀

  2. After years of experimentation I think I have pretty much concluded that I do better in these situations when I turn on the charm. I am capable of withering plants through the phone, but the power is really on the other end. They don’t have do do anything, and if you don’t give them a reason to, they won’t.

    The dinner looks great.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s